Maple-Nut-Pumpkin Candies


This recipe is in the October 2012 issue of Family Circle magazine. It looks wonderful. The pumpkin makes me think of fall, which is something I’m longing for right now. We’ve still got some pretty hot temperatures here in the Deep South.
That said, I do plan to use pecans rather than walnuts. I like the taste of pecans better than walnuts and pecans are sure plentiful around here. Of course, I’ll have to get a few out of the freezer right now but later in the fall I’ll be able to get them out of the small orchard on my parents’ property.
I also don’t bother with parchment paper. I was taught early to use wax paper for such times as this. It works great and I’ve always got it handy.
I hope you enjoy the recipe. And don’t forget to pick up this issue of Family Circle. It’s got a wonderful section on breast cancer and some other wonderful looking recipes as well.
Maple-Nut-Pumpkin Candies

1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 cup granulated sugar
¼ cup maple syrup
¼ cup unsalted butter
½ cup solid-pack pumpkin
½ cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped

Line an 8x8-inch metal baking pan with parchment paper. Spray paper with nonstick cooking spray.

In a medium pot, combine sugars, maple syrup, butter, pumpkin, cream, pumpkin pie spice and salt over medium heat. Stir until butter is melted and all ingredients are combined. Bring to a simmer and cook 10 to 12 minutes or until temperature reaches 238 degrees on a candy thermometer. Stir in walnuts.

Pour mixture into lined baking pan. Cool 1 hour on the counter, then refrigerate an additional 1 hour.

Slice into 36 squares.

92 calories per piece

No comments:

Post a Comment