Blueberry Swirl Cheesecake

In the South, one is always expected to take food somewhere. It's just part of life. It could be the church supper, a potluck at Aunt Betty Sue's house or to feed the family after a death. It could also be any number of other events. Southerners really like to eat.

It's also expected that the "dish" be homemade. As in, made from scratch. As in, store-bought goods are frowned upon. I had been an adult far more years than I'll ever admit before I came to accept that sometimes it really was okay to not take something I'd made from scratch. I'll always thank that sweet little widow (she really was short!) who explained that she gave "from scratch" up somewhere along the time she was left to work and raise three children alone. Time is a huge factor. Just think. I didn't have to stay up to 1 a.m. baking all those years.

Before I realized that things had changed, I developed a few good recipes that were quick, easy and looked like they took a great deal of time. You may notice a theme here among the different recipes I share.

Blueberry Swirl Cheesecake is one of those recipes. It also was my best friend's favorite dessert. He always requested it for birthdays and such. Yes, I gave him the recipe. And, yes, he could cook. I guess some things just taste better when someone else makes them for you. He's been dead a good many years now but I always think of him when I make this dessert.


Blueberry Swirl Cheesecake

2 (8-oz) packages of creme cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
graham cracker crust (6 0z)
Comstock Blueberry Pie Filling

Mix the creme cheese, sugar and vanilla until it's smooth and creamy. If you forget to let the creme cheese soften or simply don't have time, put it in the microwave on medium for a few seconds. Every microwave varies. Just keep checking it until it's softened but not soupy.

Pour the mixture into the graham cracker crust. However did we manage before we could buy those crusts already made and ready to go? Spoon 1/4 to 1/3 of the blueberry pie filling on top. I generally use a teaspoon and drop bits of the filling around in little puddles. Then use a toothpick to gently swirl it around. It looks really pretty, sort of like marble.

Bake it at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until the center is set. Let it cool until room temperature, then refrigerate.

Serve topped with the remaining filling.

Hey, look at you! You made a cheesecake without having to use a "real" cheesecake pan!

No comments:

Post a Comment