Blueberry Coffee Cake

Last week I baked a Blueberry Coffee Cake. It was so yummy! I used to make this -- sort of. I decided to change things around a bit. The result was far better than I expected.

The original recipe was from Bisquick and called Fruit Swirl Coffee Cake. It's wonderful too! I believe that Bisquick is one of those products that should be a staple in every kitchen. There are so many dishes you can throw together at the last minute using this wonderful product.

I halved the original recipe. I also opted to use fresh (well, frozen-fresh) blueberries instead of canned blueberry pie filling. I baked it in a fancy pie dish. It looked so elaborate. I so love to fool people into thinking something took a great deal of time and effort when it really was quite simple. Don't you?


Blueberry Coffee Cake

2 cups Bisquick baking mix
1/4 cup sugar
1/8 cup margarine, melted
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups blueberries

Glaze

1 cup powdered sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons milk

Grease a pie plate or a square baking pan.

Wash and drain blueberries.

Mix all the ingredients except blueberries and glaze ingredients. I just stir with a fork until completely mixed. It would be okay to use a mixer. That just seems like more trouble than necessary.

Spread 2/3 of the batter into the baking dish. Pour blueberries over this, spreading evenly. Then, using a spoon, drop the remaining batter over the blueberries. It won't completely cover the berries so just get a little artsy with it, putting a little bit here and a little bit there.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes in a 350 degree oven. It should be light brown. Remember that oven cooking times vary.

Just before time to take it from the oven, mix the powdered sugar and milk together until it's smooth.

When you remove the coffee cake from the oven, drizzle the glaze over it. Serve warm. It's also okay to serve it cool. I just prefer it warm. For the leftovers, put servings on a microwavable dish and heat for about 25 seconds each. Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment