Green Bean and Shoepeg Corn Casserole

I've been meaning to try this recipe for awhile now. I just never got around to it. Wow! I won't make that mistake again. This is fabulous. Even the normally finicky eaters at my house went for seconds.

The recipe comes from Christy Jordan's cookbook Southern Plate. I definitely recommend you purchase it, and not just for this recipe. She shares many family recipes that are just wonderful Southern dishes. Give it a try.

I wasn't quite sure what "shoepeg corn" is. I consulted with my Mother and used a can of whole kernel corn. It worked great. I know you'll enjoy it!

Green Bean and Shoepeg Corn Casserole

1/2cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
One 11-ounce can shoepeg corn, drained
One 11-ounce can French-style green beans, drained
One 11-ounce can cream of celery soup, undiluted
1/2 pint sour cream
1/2 cup crushed Ritz crackers
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) margarine or butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients together except for the crackers and margarine. Place in a casserole dish. Melt the margarine in a skillet and mix with the crushed Ritz crackers. Spread over the top of the vegetables and bake for 45 minutes or until bubbly.

Makes 8 to 10 servings.


No comments:

Post a Comment