Red Beans and Rice Veggie Burgers

Years ago there was a little hole in the wall restaurant located downtown in the Texas town I lived. I mean that literally. It was like shoebox size. Owned and operated by a family that had relocated from New Orleans. They made THE best Red Beans and Rice. Even the cornbread was awesome. And it was so cheap. Seriously. I loved that place.

I left long ago and I have no idea if it's still around. I do know that I've never again found a any restaurant that can make Red Beans and Rice taste that good. I guess that's why this recipe intrigues me. I found it in the August 2014 issue of Southern Living magazine. I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

Red Beans and Rice Veggie Burgers

1/2 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
Two 16-oz. cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1/3 cup minced green bell pepper
1/3 cup minced sweet onion
2 tablespoons minced celery
1 tablespoons Creole seasoning
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
3 tablespoons Creole mustard
2 tablespoons minced green onions
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
6 butter lettuce leaves
5 (1/2-inch thick) crusty bread slices, toasted

Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat; stir in rice. Reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring constantly, 15 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is tender. (Tip: stirring the rice as it cooks helps release the starch that helps hold the veggie patties together.)

Mash red kidney beans in a large bowl with a fork or pastry blender. Stir in bell pepper, onion, celery, Creole seasoning, garlic gloves and egg, along with the cooked rice, until well blended. Shape mixture into six 1/2-inch thick patties.

Cook three patties in 1 1/2 tablespoons hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat 5 minutes on each side or until golden. Repeat procedure with remaining oil and patties.

Stir together mayonnaise, Creole mustard, green onions and parsley. Place 1 lettuce leaf on each bred slice; top each with 1 patty and desired amount of mayonnaise mixture.

Makes six burgers.

No comments:

Post a Comment