Biscuits

 I have been searching for years to find a really good homemade biscuit recipe. I have tried more recipes than I care to admit. Some were okay. Some were destined for the garbage.


Then one day I combined ingredients from two different recipes and I was thrilled. The only challenge? I didn't write down exactly what I did.


So I did it again -- writing it all down as I went. This is that recipe. How many biscuits you get depends on the thickness of the dough. Plan for about 9-10. Pair the biscuits with sausage gravy or a homecooked Southern meal and you've got a winner.


               Biscuits


2 cups self-rising flour

1 cup buttermilk

1 teaspoon sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

6 tablespoons Crisco shortening


Preheat oven to 450 degrees.


Sift flour. Add baking power, baking soda and sugar. Stir. Cut in the shortening using a pastry cutter. Add buttermilk, stirring just until moistened.


Pour batter onto a well-floured cloth. Knead sparingly, until coated. Roll out thickly (3/4-1 inch thick) and cut with a biscuit cutter. 


Place in a well-greased cast iron skillet. I use shortening to grease the skillet. Bake 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned on top.


Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment